Culture and places of interest St. Justus Church

St. Justus Church was built in the 8th century and is one of the most precious artistic monuments in the Canton of St. Gallen.

It is named after the martyr Saint Justus, a nine-year old boy from Auxerre in France who saved his parents from seizure by enemies of the faith and was beheaded as a martyr for Christ. He was canonised and, around 1036, his head was destined to be transferred to the Monastery of Pfäfers but supernatural powers prevented this from happening and the head remained in Flums. Today, the Saint Justus head relic is on display at the Swiss National Museum in Zurich.

The church's oldest walls date back to Roman times. The annexed burial ground is particularly noteworthy. It was first documented in 1303 and contains wrought iron crosses dating back to the 17th-19th centuries.

Heidiland's places of wonder

From time immemorial, places of power in Heidiland have been inviting visitors to take a break, switch off and re-energise. Take a very special trip of discovery and find out about the eventful past of this region and its people.

You can sense the energy from the black Baroque Lenten veil which used to be hung at the entrance to the choir during Lent to conceal the altar. The altar itself is a place of power in the church. The energy it produces is well-balanced and vitalising. However, the altar is cordoned off and cannot be accessed.